Thursday, January 29, 2015

1-28-15



Observational Drawing

Week 2: Assignment 2 Discussion

Assignment 2: Sighting Discussion


By Wednesday, January 28, 2015, complete the following exercise:

The first step in drawing is to understand the basic structure or geometric shape of the object you are trying to depict. In addition, it is important to be able to depict the surface your arrangement is sitting on. Set up a still life with three objects of different simple shapes (i.e., a book, a cube-shaped box, a ball, a can, a kitchen funnel, etc.). To establish the baseline or surface plane of the composition, arrange your objects on a straight horizontal plane such as a table. Position yourself in front of the arrangement, with your eye level just slightly above the tallest object so that your table line runs parallel to the bottom edge of the paper. Visually simplify each object by imagining the geometric shape or a combination of shapes that it most closely resembles. Consider how the bottom plane of each object connects to the surface of the table and work to ground your objects convincingly. Use a #2 or a #4 graphite pencil.

Use the pencil sighting method to determine the scale and relationships between your objects using a basic unit of measurement, and make sketch lines where your measurements fall. Keep the measurement lines visible and lightly sketch in your objects as simple geometric shapes.

This should not be a detailed rendering. It is an exercise in using sighting to create a simplified sketch of your composition. An additional step may include blocking in a broad indication of the big lights/big darks.

Written Discussion
Write a one- to two-paragraph response that addresses the following exploration of technique: In your own words, describe your experience using sighting. Explain how you used the technique of sighting to draw your subject in proportion.

Your answers should be based upon your personal experience with this exercise, as well as the course content and assigned readings, should utilize relevant vocabulary, and should be written using correct spelling and grammar. Post your sketch with your written response to the appropriate Discussion Area.

Revisions

Submitting a revised assignment based on feedback from your instructor is strongly encouraged. This will help ensure that your assignment is completed correctly and allow you to develop your work to its fullest potential. Revisions provide an opportunity to improve your grade and are due by the end of the week. Instructor feedback on revisions will be included in the Gradebook.



My Work: 



For this assignment I had taken the three items (a paperback book, a ball from my son’s bedroom, and a cylindrical box of salt) and I arranged them at least a dozen times before I was pleased with the placement. I wanted to make sure that the objects were close enough together to show relation to one another, but not too close as to over crown each other. I had to take the items and out them up on a folding chair on top of my kitchen table to be able to have the objects have a good grasp on where the horizon line was asked to be in the assignment. After I finally had the objects set up to where I felt comfortable, I took a few minutes to make sure I was using the correct procedure for sighting, I used the tip of my pencil and the closest point of the paperback book spine as my basic unit of measurement. I found that making the image show a spatial relationship was a lot harder than I initially thought it would be. Especially with the sphere. I used cross contour lines to try and depict a third dimension for the ball. I believe that I did obtain a good concept of proportion in my drawing as far as relating how large each object was to each other, however I also know that I have a lot of improvement needed for this to be perfect.








My Instructor's Feedback: 

Hi Bridgette,

Thanks for re-posting and very nice work on your drawing using the sighting method. I've recorded a VoiceThread video (under) for you.
https://voicethread.com/share/6493566/ The top video is the lecture. The bottom video contains your feedback. You are ninth on this recording. Please feel free to post questions or comments if needed. Thank you,


No comments:

Post a Comment