Sunday, January 25, 2015

1-25-15_6


History and Analysis of Design

Week 1:  Assignment 1 Discussion 



Assignment 1: Introduction


Deadline and Deliverable

By Monday, January 19, 2015, introduce yourself to your instructor and classmates by providing a brief autobiography. Include additional information as detailed below. Post your autobiography directly to the Discussion Area. Do not post the autobiography as an attachment.

Steps to Success
Write a 1-paragraph autobiography to introduce yourself to your instructor and classmates.
Include information about a famous graphic designer, a period of art history, or a typeface that you like, including the reason you like it. By Monday, January 19, 2015, submit your autobiography directly to the Discussion Area.
Participate in class by welcoming your classmates and commenting on their posts. Review and comment on the autobiographies of your classmates by Sunday, January 25, 2015.


My Work: 


Hello everyone, my name is Bridgette Bandell and I am a 29 year old mother of 6 who recently moved to Richland, Washington. I have chosen to pursue an education in Graphic Design. I have always been a creative person drawing, coloring, editing almost every picture I can before anyone sees it, etc. I have experience in J Wildfire and Photoshop CS6, and some GIMP but not much. I have already successfully started my own company Bookworm Productions. We are an independent author, service provider. I have already created some successful book covers for authors and edited two books and would like to be able to have a better grasp on a few things designing wise so that I can make better covers and have more schooling behind me to prove that I know what I am doing in this field!

Charles “Chip” Kidd. Kidd is a graphic design professional that is most widely known for creating book covers for authors. Charles was born in 1964 and went to school for Graphic Design at Pennsylvania State University, graduating in 1986 and began working for Knopf Publishing where his career skyrocketed where he designed thousands of book covers in addition to his personal freelance projects. Kidd’s job is to develop a cover for a book that is appealing to the eye as to cause a reader to desire to pick up and purchase the book for their reading collection. Having been an avid reader, blogger, and reviewer for many Independently Published authors, it has come to be seen that all people judge a book by its cover at one point or another. If the book on the shelf doesn’t appeal to your visual standards or interests, you are not going to be likely to turn the book over to read the blurb on the back due to the lack of visual appeal. Many factors come into play when designing a book cover for an author besides making the author happy with the result. The first book cover that I have chosen from Kidd’s works is rather famous. The author’s name is Michael Crichton, and many know this man as the one who wrote Jurassic Park. Kidd designed the now famous tyrannosaurus Rex skeleton silhouette that many have come to recognize as the face of the Jurassic Park movies when he designed Crichton’s first Jurassic Park book in 1990. This was my main reason for choosing this artist. Everyone who grew up in the 90’s and forward recognizes this book cover whether they've read the book or just seen the movies.

I can't wait to be able to give my customers the best I can do for them!

Some examples of my most recent work for some books on Kindle are as follows:

Raven's Armor - http://amzn.to/1uVveKu 
Zombie Addiction - http://amzn.to/1kKVLjH 
On Dreaded Wings - http://amzn.to/15uV5Oq 



No comments:

Post a Comment