Sunday, January 25, 2015

1-25-15_8



History and Analysis of Design

Week 1: Assignment 3 Discussion

Assignment 3: Studio Assignment


Deadline and Deliverable

By Friday, January 23, 2015, choose one of the historical styles covered in the lectures and create a design for a business card for a client in the tourism industry. Include the design and supporting materials used to create the design in a PDF and post the PDF to the Discussion Area.

Steps to Success
Look through the lectures and textbook reading and find two or more images that are the source of your inspiration for your design. You should have at least one source for type and one source for imagery.
Using a pencil and paper, sketch at least five different ideas for a business card. Scan the sketches.
Search the Internet for imagery and type that match the historical period you have chosen. Using Adobe Illustrator or Adobe InDesign, create your favorite version of the business card. Remember, the business card must match the design style of the period you have chosen.
Write a 300- to 500-word explanation of your idea that covers the following information:
What historical period did you choose, and what were the sources of your inspiration?
How does the type you chose for the design match the historical period?
How does the imagery you chose match the design for the historical period?
Combine the 300- to 500-word explanation, the images that were the source of your inspiration, the preliminary thumbnail sketches, and the final design into a single document. Make a PDF from the file, save it as W1_A3_lastname_firstinitial.pdf, and post it to the Discussion Area.
Participate in class as described in the Review and Critique section.


My Work:


For my historical period I chose the medieval time period. However, instead of deciding upon English or British medieval times, I decided to use medieval Scottish Highlands as my inspiration. I don’t have any sites to use for my reasons for choosing this time in history. My reasons are simple, Ever since I was a little girl I have loved Scotland with all my heart. I have always wanted to visit or one day maybe live there. But I absolutely loved the stories of before there were cars, industry, and technology. To ride across the plains and meet a laird. Being of Scots-Irish descent, I have always been fascinated by these lands, so I used this as my chosen time period.

The sources of images that I used for inspiration were images of a Scottish Flag, some castle remains, and a historical statue at a museum I found on the sites listed below.

The typeface I used for this project is a standard type kit font on most computers named Papyrus Regular. I used this font because it looked very much like the quick calligraphy one would find on a scroll of parchment back in the 16th century and being as scrolls were a major form of communication, it seemed to fit nicely. On the background of the front of the card, there is a tartan from the Stewart Clan. This is my family clan, so I was just putting a little bit of my family history into the card. I took a rectangle and made a 65% transparent white rectangle on top so that the font would stand out more but that you could still see the tartan color. I put the name of the tour agency on the top of the card with my name and position underneath. I left aligned the name and position and then created a new textbox to input the phone number, address, the website and email address. I also added a silhouette of a bagpipe player to the lower mid-left of the card due to bagpipe music is widely known for the Scottish culture and it helped make the card come together. For the back of the card, I just kept it simple and made it a Scottish Flag. I was going to put words or something else on the back, but I figured that the simple picture, no words, no fancy slogans, would be the best to suit this card.


Works Cited:

"Scotland, Castle, Ruin, See, Water - Free Image on Pixabay." Pixabay. 22 Sept. 2008. Web. 11 Dec. 2014. <http://pixabay.com/en/scotland-castle-ruin-see-water-12074/>.

"Scotland National Flag." Scotland National Flag Stock Photo 124620805 : Shutterstock. Web. 12 Dec. 2014. <http://shutr.bz/13NOGwW>.



No comments:

Post a Comment