Sunday, January 25, 2015

1-25-15_2



Observational Drawing Week 1 Autobiography





Autobiography

By Tuesday, January 20, 2015, please write an autobiography that states your drawing-related experience and include a pre-instructional self-portrait using graphite on drawing paper. It is understood that this drawing will be completed with no prior direction from this course. The drawing will not be graded based on quality; it will simply be used to measure your overall growth in the course. Do your best given your current skill level, and have fun with this exercise.

Please review the following guidelines to complete this drawing to the best of your ability:
Set up a mirror on a wall in a dimly lit room, and position yourself in front of it so that you can see yourself comfortably for an extended period.
Place your paper vertically on an easel or on a drawing board propped against the back of a chair so that it is parallel to the picture plane.
Position your easel and paper so they are facing you and allow you a clear view of both the mirrored image of yourself and the paper as you draw.
Establish a distinct light source on your face. Keep in mind, the higher the wattage of the bulb in your lamp and the closer the light source is to the figure, the more dramatic the shadows.
Look closely at your face and then draw your reflection in the mirror.





My Work






Bridgette Bandell   1/21/2015 7:26:58 PM


Hello everyone, my name is Bridgette Bandell and I am a stay at home 29yr old mother of 2 children… well, 3 if you count my fiance'. My experience with drawing is anything but formal. I have drawn basic  Disney Characters for my children when we ran out of coloring pages desired, but that is simple copying, looking at the lines and drawing them on another paper. My children think its cooler when I draw it from the page than when I scan It., so we don’t waste the ink anymore. I have also sketched some original drawings but have never done anything multi-dimensional or with a subject to use as reference. I always just drew from my imagination and I am figuring out that drawing from subject matter physically in front of you is actually harder for me than drawing from imagination because I’m constantly correcting my work for fear that it doesn't look right. Hopefully through this course I can get better because my initial drawing of myself isn’t desirable and instead of drawing with my mind for what I thought I looked like, I drew what I saw in the mirror. Proving that this was going to be harder than I thought. In addition to my actual drawing on this assignment, I added a picture of me. What I look like and what I was looking at when I was drawing. (Of course, when I went to get my camera, my hair moved so you couldn't see my ear, but you get the general idea.)






No comments:

Post a Comment