Sunday, February 8, 2015

2-8-15_3


Observational Drawing

Week 3: Assignment 3 Discussion

Assignment 3: Drawing Exercise—Egg Still Life



By Friday, February 6, 2015, create a still-life arrangement using at least three eggs as your subject matter. The key objective in this assignment is a fully rendered, smooth surface using the entire value scale, so the less detail in the scene the better. Do not include reflective surfaces or glass objects. Consider the surface that your subject is on and include cast shadows as part of your composition.
  • Start this project by creating a value scale using various vine charcoal, compressed charcoal sticks, and charcoal pencils. This should run along one side of your composition as in the example.
  • Again, take some time to set up your light source so that your shadows are extreme.
  • Once you are satisfied with the lighting, take a moment to observe your setup from your drawing position, note your eye level, and work to maintain it throughout the drawing process.
  • Use your vine charcoal to quickly sketch in your scene lightly and loosely in the first three to five minutes of the drawing process.
  • Step back and assess proportions and perspective using the sighting methods discussed in Week 2.
  • Then, start to block in the darkest tone first, using charcoal sticks to render an image of the scene in front of you.
  • Consider that the entire picture plane should be in tone with the exception of the brightest highlights, or the areas closest to the light source.
  • Gradually, move tone out of the darkest areas by slowly releasing pressure on your drawing tool(s).
  • Begin blending and creating gradual transitions using one or all of your blending tools, such as a chamois cloth, plastic eraser, or blending stump.
  • Continue to refine and add detail to your drawing. As you do this, continuously assess the consistency of your light source—textures should be rendered based on a consistent light source, just as objects are. Consider that only the areas of the scene that are closest to the light source will be whitest (where the white of the paper shows through) and the areas that are blocked from or farthest away from the light source will be darkest or black.
  • When you are finished, you're encouraged to photograph your arrangement to include with your drawing.

My Work: 






I am so sorry that this assignment is so late. I did not have any eggs, not even plastic ones, so I had to wait until payday to be able to go buy some for this assignment.
I feel that I did a much better job on this one than I did with the sphere. It did seem that the longer I looked at the setting, the more shadows I saw. Even the shadows seemed to have shadows. I tried my hardest to get the lightest lights correct, and I know that the first egg isn't great. I did re-draw this a few times as well, but I like how this one came out.


My Instructor Feedback: 




Hi Bridgette,

Thank you for posting your egg still life drawing! I've recorded a VoiceThread video for you. 
You are tenth on this recording. Please feel free to post questions or comments if needed. Thank you,

Pat




Classmate Feedback: 


Formal critique for Bandell Bridgette ...........................Timothy Courtney 2/9/2015 10:57:18 AM



I do not have a big critique since you did a outstanding job on this assignment. You have your shading down and the texture as well I can really tell that it is smooth and I can also tell where the light source is coming from as well. I say keep on keeping on. You seem to know what you are doing.

No comments:

Post a Comment