Thursday, February 5, 2015

2-5-15

History and Analysis of Design

Week 2: Assignment 2 Discussion

Assignment 1: Studio Assignment

Deadline and Deliverable


By Friday, January 30, 2015, create a 2-page, double-spread illustrated book or magazine layout for an article about one of the influential historical figures covered in this week's lectures. You will use typography as one of the main design elements. Also, integrate one of the illustrations shown in this week's lectures into your design. Include the design and supporting materials used to create the design in a PDF and post the PDF to the Discussion Area.

Steps to Success

Read the lectures and decide on one historical figure you want to write about. You may choose one of the artists or typographers covered. Decide on a purpose for the article.
Research the historical figure online to find additional information. Use direct quotes from the sources that you find to support your writing. Cite the source of the quotes and of the information correctly using MLA style.
Choose an illustration from the lectures. If your article is about an artist, you will want to use one or more of the artist's illustrations.
Choose the typography you will use for your headline. If your article is about a typographer, you will want to use type that matches the typographer's style. The typography should look like it came from the historical period covered in the article.
Complete at least six thumbnail sketches and two rough designs as preliminary work.
Design the 2-page double-spread in Adobe InDesign or Adobe Illustrator. Make a PDF of the design and save it as W2_A2_lastname_firstinitial.pdf.
Write 1 paragraph stating the purpose of the article, its possible target audience, and the place in which it might appear. Attach the PDF of your design and post the rationale along with the PDF to the Discussion Area.
Participate in class as described in the Review and Critique section.



My Work:



For this assignment, I chose to base my design around the works of Albrecht Dürer. As I started to research Albrecht Dürer, I became very engrossed in his works. He was a very talented painter, engraver, printmaker, mathematician, and theorist. I was particularly interested in his Apocalypse Series (1498) and that's what I chose to focus on in this assignment. I wanted to give my magazine article a bit of a renaissance feel, so I chose to use the popular colors of that time (azurite, orpiment and umber). I also searched for different typefaces that would fit into my design and I decided on 2, (1492 Quadrata Lim Bold and Kingthings Italique), which I downloaded from Dafont.com. I wanted the purpose of this article to spotlight Dürer's success not only as a talented artist but also a man that was ahead of his time in regards to his vision. The possible target audience for this article would possibly be spiritual and artistic persons wanting to read about a spiritual man and his works. I believe that this article may appear in maybe an art magazine or a Christian magazine given the fact that Albrecht Dürer was a religious man.


Works Cited:
"Albrecht Dürer." Wikipedia. Wikimedia Foundation. Web. 29 January. 2015.
Bailey, David. "The Engraver." The Engraver. Web. 30 January. 2015
"Apocalypse (Dürer)." Wikipedia. Wikimedia Foundation. Web. 29 January. 2015.

Typefaces:
"Dafont.com." Dafont.com. Web. 29 January 2015.

Images:
"Apocalypse (Dürer)." Wikipedia. Wikimedia Foundation. Web. 30 January. 2015.




Instructor's Feedback: 

Bridgette,
Good beginning! I'd like to see you revise your design a bit to show the modern feel and innovation of Durer. Just make small changes...save your original as a copy and work off of that. The design should look like a slightly revised version.
Take a look at the Society of Publication Designers for inspiration. Click here>>
Click here for audio feedback>>


My Revision: 





Instructor,

After listening to your analysis and thinking about how to accomplish the changes you mentioned, I went ahead and redesigned the entire assignment, using all the same images with the exception of the symbol, and I added some images of Etched Letterhead from the time period that you would have found in a printed material most times. I changed the font around and the layout as well. I hope this is better.

Bridgette


(If you click on it, you can see the changes)







***NOTE: No, I do not normally use wikipedia, but I was dealing with a sick 5yr old at the time and was distracted and in a hurry the first time around.***

No comments:

Post a Comment